Information Box Group
When McMaster University made its way from Toronto to Hamilton in 1930, there were a few buildings on campus to house the business of academia. Although the campus was sparse, it provided significant room for growth.
By the 1950’s it was clear that more facilities were needed. The Memorial Campaign was undertaken by the McMaster Alumni Association to raise funds for the construction of the new student centre.
Alumni responded generously and Alumni Memorial Hall was built in 1951.
The building originally housed a cafeteria, lounges for men and women, a common room, and the offices for the McMaster Alumni Association. Students of the time referred to the building as the Buttery, and it was a favourite place to go to play bridge or relax.
Alumni Memorial Hall was named in honour of McMaster students and alumni who had given their lives in the two world wars. There are two plaques inside to remember those, one for each war.
Outside of the building is another plaque honouring alumni who died in Afghanistan, and a bench recognizing McMaster’s 1946 Special Session Veteran’s Entrance Class.
On May 9th, 1967, Robert Welch (who had graduated from McMaster in 1949) in his capacity as Provincial Secretary and Ontario Minister of Citizenship, granted Articles of Incorporation (at that time a Charter was issued by Letters Patent) to ten members of the McMaster community to create a corporation under the name of the “Faculty Club of McMaster University”.
The Letters Patent date back to the original University Club of Hamilton dated 1925. These are displayed along with other documents in the University Club Lounge.
The “Faculty Club of McMaster” then legally changed its name to “The University Club of McMaster” in the year 2000.
The University Club has benefited greatly from the wisdom and guidance of these and many others who have played an active role in establishing, maintaining and advancing the Club for the benefit of its Members.